May is Pet Cancer Awareness Month and it's a great reminder to check your pet regularly for any early warning signs. Cancer is the #1 cause of death in older animals and affects 1 out of 3 dogs. All dogs, whether mixed breed or purebred, are at risk for developing cancer.
Here's a list of the early warning signs that are crucial to look for in your pet:
- Abnormal swellings that persist or continue to grow
- Sores that do not heal
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty eating or swallowing
- Bleeding or discharge from any body opening
- Offensive odors
- Loss of stamina or reluctance to exercise
- Peristant stiffness or lameness
- Difficulty breathing, urinating or defecating
The National Canine Cancer Foundation has a wealth of resources and articles on their website. It's a wonderful foundation that's worth checking out and supporting!
Happy Dog Lovin' & Dog Healin'!
Canine Health Foundation | Pleasant Hill Animal Hospital | Petco